Tory’s approval remains high

| Filed under: Toronto

Tory’s approval remains high

Majority approves of budget, TTC fare hike, kids riding free

TORONTO, January 25th, 2015 - In a random sampling of public opinion taken by The Forum Poll™ among 843 Toronto voters, as many as two thirds approved of the job John Tory is doing as mayor (67%) and, while this is somewhat lower than the level noted last month, in the full flush of victory (December 18, 2014 - 74% approval), it is double the levels of approval noted for former Mayor Ford during most of his tenure. Tory’s popularity is especially high among the oldest (83%) and the wealthiest ($100K to $250K - 82%).

Garbage collection slightly preferred west of Yonge

Customer satisfaction overall for solid waste collection and recycling is higher west of Yonge Street, where a private contractor, Green For Life operates, than it is east of Yonge, still served by the city (50% “very satisfied” vs 44%, respectively).

Two thirds approve of kids riding free on the TTC

Two thirds of Toronto voters approve of 12 and unders being allowed to ride the TTC for free (64%), while 3-in-10 disapprove (31%). Disapproval of this idea is common to Gen X (45 to 54 - 40%), mid income groups ($40K to $60K - 40%) and among those who voted for Doug Ford in the recent mayoral election (45%).

Majority approves of TTC fare increase

Voters are told TTC fares (except cash fairs) will increase 10 cents, and the majority actually approve (51%), while close to half disapprove (44%). Few don’t know (5%). Approval of the increase is common to the oldest (55+ - 65%), the wealthiest ($100K to $250K - 68%), among property owners (58%) and John Tory voters (68%).

Most find property tax increase “about right” or “too small”

Four-in-ten voters think a tax increase of 2.25% (2.75% including the Scarborough Subway tax) is “about right” (42%), and a further one tenth find it “too small” (10%) for a total of about one half who do not think the increase too great (52%). The position it is too high is held by another 4-in-10 (41%) and about one tenth don’t have an opinion (8%).

Strong approval for Tory’s first budget

Close to 6-in-10 voters approve of the details of Mayor Tory’s first budget which are described to them (59%), while just one quarter disapproves (24%). Close to one fifth don’t share an opinion (17%). Disapproval is common to those who voted for Doug Ford in October (50%).

"We can point to the difference between a month ago and today but Mayor Tory still has very high approval ratings, similar to those he wore in the first months of the mayoral campaign. Since mid-December, the mayor has made announcements and enacted policy, some of which has ruffled feathers. I wouldn’t say the honeymoon is over, but Toronto is beginning to judge John Tory as a working mayor, rather than as a recent saviour," said Forum Research President, Dr. Lorne Bozinoff.

Lorne Bozinoff, Ph.D. is the president and founder of Forum Research. He can be reached at or at (416) 960-9603.